Top 10 Things to Do in Dundalk this Autumn
A vibrant town, Dundalk has plenty to offer as a daytrip or short break destination – from a thriving shopping scene and excellent restaurants, to a wealth of historic and cultural sites. We round up 10 of the best things to do in Dundalk this autumn.
Market Square, Dundalk - Martin McElligott
1. Cementing Dundalk’s place as a centre for creativity, the self-guided SEEK Urban Art Mural trail tells the story of Dundalk’s culture, history and heritage in a fun and contemporary way. There are currently thirteen murals throughout the town, each featuring a local character or landmark.
2. One of 14 scenic viewpoints on the 70km sea louth scenic seafood trail, Dundalk Bay is a haven for wildlife and birds, a Special Area of Conservation, a designated Special Protection Area and is widely held as a must visit location for Bird Watchers. A series of pathways and boardwalks allows you to explore the riverside estuary stretching from the Newry Road, along the Navvy Bank to Soldier’s Point.
3. Have a flutter at Dundalk Stadium, Ireland’s only all-weather, dual racecourse, with greyhound racing every Friday and Saturday and a full an extensive fixture of horse racing including ‘Floodlit Fridays’ throughout the winter series. Pre-booking is essential.
4. No list of things to do in Dundalk would be complete without a mention of the town’s arts and cultural scene. At the forefront of this exciting creative scene is An Táin Arts Centre and Basement Gallery who are delighted to welcome everyone back to the theatre for live performances. Bridge Street Studios is another thriving hub of art, design and craft, with their Gateway Gallery on-site shop open every Saturday from 10am-5pm.
5. The County Museum is a sea louth stamp collection point, located in a beautifully restored late 18th century warehouse on Jocelyn Street. The museum chronicles the history of County Louth from the Stone Age right through to present day, over three galleries of permanent exhibition space, and an ever changing programme of temporary displays. Entrance is free for the remainder of 2021 and the museum is open Tues-Sat, 10am-5pm.
6. Dundalk’s food scene is deservedly gaining repute for incredible food experiences, and there are no fewer than 14 restaurants in Dundalk participating in the sea louth scenic seafood trail. These include:
· Rooftop Restaurant, Crowne Plaza (currently open Tues., Wed. & Sat. evenings)
· Lennon’s Gastro Pub (re-opening soon)
7. St Patrick’s Cathedral was designed by the Newry architect, Thomas Duff, its impressive interior completed by J.J. McCarthy. Containing a wealth of distinctive features, including stained glass windows by Franz Mayer & Co of Munich, and Italian mosaic walls designed by acclaimed architect, George Ashlin, and is well worth a visit.
8. Love to indulge in a spot of retail therapy? Then Dundalk’s mix of high street and artisan stores is perfect for you. The Marshes Shopping Centre is a must, or hit the town for boutiques, department stores and artisan coffee shops all in close proximity.
9. When it comes to things for kids to do Dundalk does not disappoint. Burn off energy indoors at Airbound trampoline park or let them loose in the Pirate’s Den Adventure Centre. Meanwhile, St Helena Park and playground, and Ice House Hill Park, complete with duck pond, provide plenty of fun out in the open air.
10. Said to be the birthplace of the legendary warrior, Cúchulainn, Castletown Motte is home to Byrne’s Folly (aka Cúchulainn’s Castle), built by well-known pirate Patrick Byrne in 1780 AD. The site is located on 'Mount Avenue' on the western edge of Dundalk.
Don’t forget to call into the Dundalk Tourist Office on the Market Square for all the local info and to pick up your sea louth passport and kick-start your scenic seafood trail adventure!
Visit sealouth.ie to plan your visit (and dining!) in Dundalk.
Keywords: sea louth, scenic seafood trail, Dundalk top 10, things to do in Dundalk, best things to do in Dundalk, Dundalk restaurants, Dundalk shopping, things to do with kids Dundalk