Updated: Feb 2
Treat your loved one to a romantic meal in Louth this Valentine’s Day, with the finest local seafood, intimate dining venues and jaw-dropping sea views. Valentine’s Day this year falls on a Monday, which coincides with the traditional Monday closing. However, all of the restaurants featured here are open the weekend prior, so there are plenty of first-rate restaurants in Louth to choose from for the Valentine’s weekend.
Here are some of our favourite romantic restaurants in Louth – all of which feature as part of the sea louth seafood trail and offer local seafood special dishes which count as one of the necessary two restaurant stamps for your sea louth passport.
1. On Valentine’s Eve (Sunday 13th) the award-winning restaurant at Ghan House in Carlingford is offering a 4-course candlelit dinner for €57.50; or enjoy a 6-course tasting menu for €49.50. Early booking is strongly advised.
2. The two AA rosette-awarded restaurant at the Scholars Townhouse in Drogheda is open seven days a week, and promises a warm and friendly setting, a strong emphasis on first-class, locally sourced ingredients – seafood included – and an impressive selection of wine, craft beer and signature cocktails. Go on, treat yourself!
3. In the heart of medieval Carlingford, Fishy Dishy lives up to its name, with a very fine selection of fresh seafood, caught just off the coast. Book in for the Friday, Saturday or Sunday prior to Valentine’s.
4. Square, Dundalk has been gaining a lot of attention of late; most recently, head chef Conor Halpenny was included in an Irish Times’ list of 50 People to Watch in 2022. Valentine’s Weekend is sure to be a sell-out, so book early to secure your table.
5. The Glyde Inn in Annagassan has it all, as far as romance is concerned: views to die for and top-notch local seafood. Though the restaurant is closed on Monday 14th, there are (at the time of writing) plenty of tables to be had Weds-Sun.
6. Callan’s Bar and Restaurant just outside Dundalk, is a real find, with a homely, relaxed feel and beautifully presented food. Enjoy a pint of the Black Stuff in the snug bar after your meal.
7. Get your fill of Carlingford’s famous aphrodisiac at The Bay Tree, with oysters served three ways: grilled garlic, Thai style and Japanese style.
8. PJ O’Hare’s, another Carlingford institution, boasts a mouth-watering menu which includes local oysters ‘au naturel’, as well as award-winning seafood chowder, and “monster-sized” crab claws. Or, why not go all-out and order PJ’s seafood platter?
9. The award-winning D’Vine at Distillery House in Drogheda is perfect for a spot of understated romance, promising rustic and creative food served in a relaxed atmosphere. Their fish special changes daily, so you can be sure it is local and as fresh as can be. Open Weds-Sun.
10. The setting may be casual at The Smugglers Rest, Clogherhead though the food is anything but. Dublin Bay prawns cooked to perfection, and chowder featuring locally sourced fresh and smoked fish. This is a dining experience you and your loved one will be sure to remember.
11. “We pride ourselves on our food and service, and we use mainly locally sourced produce throughout our menu, some of it even from our own garden!” say brothers Brendan and Vincent of The Spotted Dog, and their love of what they do certainly comes across, from the friendly staff through to a well-considered menu. Look out for gems including Clogherhead crab claws and prawn pil pil, and pan-seared hake.
12. Out in pretty Killanny, Riverbank Country Pub and Restaurant is an idyllic country pub, complete with roaring fires and cosy interior. This hidden gem is sure to impress your other half.
13. The seafood tapas at The Market Bar in Dundalk is perfect for sharing. With seafood sliders, mussels and seafood paella among menu stand-outs. The kitchen is currently open Thurs-Sat, 5-10pm. This cosmopolitan venue is also famous for their mixology skills and original cocktail menu!
14. Blackrock’s The Clermont is one of the most impressive new restaurants in the county, with fresh local food and an atmosphere of “modern cool”, with an enviable selection of modern artwork on display by artists including Banksy and Damien Hirst.
Browse an up-to-date list of restaurants participating in the sea louth trail here.
Keywords: sea louth, scenic seafood trail, romantic restaurants Louth, valentine’s offers louth restaurants, romantic places to eat Louth