There is lots going on in Louth this festive season, and we will be doing our best to shop – and eat! – local this Christmas. Here is our pick of what’s happening the length and breadth of the sea louth scenic seafood trail.
Dundalk's Market Square, Mark Duffy Photography
1. Back by popular demand, the Winter Fayre at the Secret Garden at the Carrickdale Hotel is one not to miss, with a wide selection of Louth businesses and crafters in one place. The Carrick Restaurant is the ideal spot to refuel, with sea louth specials including baked fillet of hake with champ and herb butter and deep-fried plaice. The Fayre takes place 5-9pm on Thursday 10th November.
2. The Pop-Up Christmas Cottage Market in Drogheda on 10th and 11th November also promises a showcase of fantastic local crafts and artisan food producers.
3. Drogheda will be all lit up on Friday 18th November, and St. Peter’s Plaza is the place to be for the big switch-on at 6.30pm.
4. The Christmas Tree Light Switch-on in the village of Blackrock on 27thNovember is always a popular event, with fireworks on the beach, carol singing, mulled wine and more.
5. The Dundalk Frostival Carnival of Light Parade is a 2-day extravaganza taking place 18th and 19th November, with live music, the ‘little elves’ family fun zone, Christmas illuminations shows and, of course, the big tree light switch-on in Market Square on 18th.
6. Expect the very best of Louth’s crafters and makers showcasing their wares at the Creative Spark Christmas Market, 2-4 December at their Downtown Hub on Clanbrassil Street, Dundalk. Keep an eye on their Facebook page for the latest updates.
7. The Carlingford Christmas Craft Fair takes place at the Foy Centre on Sunday 4th December. With seven participating sea louth restaurants in the town, there is no shortage of mouth-watering seafood on offer, and no excuse not to make a day of it!
8. Santa Sundays at Fitzpatrick’s Bar & Restaurant, a sea louth restaurant stamp collection point, take place 3/4, 10/11 and 17/18 December, and diners can bring children in to see Santa in his grotto, where they will receive a complimentary gift.
9. An Táin is the setting for a family double bill of The Muppets Christmas Carol and a kids crafting workshop on 10th December. The event costs €30 for a family of four, including drinks and snacks.
10. The TLT in Drogheda welcomes the Christmas Crooners, on 12th December. The show features over 30 well-known Christmas hits performed by a cast of 30 West End singers, backed by the superb swing band, The Jazz All-Stars. Make a night of it and grab an early bird meal at one of the sea louth Drogheda restaurants.
Keywords: sea louth, scenic seafood trail, Louth restaurants, Louth seafood restaurants, best seafood restaurants, Irish seafood, Christmas events Louth